Kim Vo’s Favorite Mango Sticky Rice Recipe
I am in love with the mango sticky rice at Bangkok Thai Restaurant in Lafayette. We order it every time we dine there. But sometimes, I just don't want to share an order so I make it at home and there's plenty to go around. On occasions where Vietnamese or Thai cuisine is on my week's meal plan, I purchase mangos in advance to ripen. Glutinous rice and coconut cream is always on standby in my pantry incase I want to make it on a whim.
Cook Time: 40 mins | Servings: Yield: 4
For the Salted Coconut Cream Sauce:
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (If you are using coconut milk, add 1 tsp cornstarch)
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Sweet Coconut Cream Mixture
- 1 cup coconut cream or 3/4cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups hot and freshly cooked sticky rice
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into bite sizes
Toasted mung bean or sesame seeds for garnish
- I recommend you to start cook sticky rice because you will need hot and fresh sticky rice for this recipe. (Cold or leftover sticky rice wouldn’t turn out as soft as it should be.) Sticky rice will take about 15 to 20 minutes, so make coconut cream sauces meanwhile rice is cooking.
- In a sauce pan, combine all ingredients for salted coconut cream sauce. Stir until salt has dissolved. Bring it to light simmer over medium heat (You will see small bubbles around edges of sauce pan, and that’s all you want!) then remove from heat. Set aside.
- In another sauce pan, combine all ingredients for sweet coconut cream mixture. Whisk until sugar as dissolved. Bring it to light simmer over medium heat and keep it warm.
- By now, sticky rice should be done cooking, so combine sticky rice and sweet coconut cream mixture while both are hot. Give it a good mix and cover with a plastic wrap, aluminum foil, a plate or steamer lid. Let it sit for 20 minutes or until rice absorbed sweet coconut cream mixture completely. It shouldn’t look like a porridge but sticky and creamy. Give another mix with a spatula.
- To serve Mango Sticky Rice, place sweet coconut rice on a plate first, then peeled and sliced half of mango. Pour about 2 tablespoons of salted coconut cream sauce and sprinkle with toasted mungbean or sesame seeds. Serve immediately and enjoy!